Tuesday, June 1, 2010

IAT TEST COMMENTARY

I just got finished taking the Implicit Association Test. The results on the race test didn't surprise me. I have a slight automatic preference for white people-well, I am white. So maybe this test has some merit. The gender one was more of a surprise. A strong association between males and career. Hmmm. Very surprising... Yes I have strong family values, but I see career as integral to self, myself. Perhaps I hold more primal female/family associated values, but strongly?? Well I do believe that child rearing is the most important job in the world..... I suppose I could talk myself into agreement.
I wonder if the video gamers identify with their results. I don't play. I have to say in general, I distrust tests of this type. There are variables that are difficult to control for. Dexterity... Yes I get it, they switched hands, but you are learning as you go...perfecting the technique so the concept may be easier, or, you may fatigue as the test goes on, so your responses aren't as quick. How about distractions? One of my children was tapping me on my left arm as I began the test, a neighbor entered the room half way through .... Additionally, some of us have excellent face recognition, and employ more work to process words. Why not use all words, or all pictures?
Interestingly, they use binomial analysis -well the stats are stronger.... I was less than enamored when confronted with the bad /Afro-American association and my bias toward the test could have affected my result. Why not other ethnicities? What if you are racist toward one particular race and not others? Why good/bad for word choices? Is the good bad association easier to understand for a wider variety of folks? Does that translate into liking and not liking? We like good and don't like bad? No fear factor? How about big/small, fast/slow, heavy/light, difficult/easy.... Well over a million people have taken the test, and the results usually reveal some kind of bias... and the parties who have contributed to this (understandingprejudice.org) site make no claim regarding the validity of suggested interpretations..... Maybe we shouldn't either :)

I wasn't crazy about providing demographics and enabling all cookies, guess Harvard needs more data.... or was it the Social Psychology Network , Wesleyan University,
or understandingprejudice.org?

No comments:

Post a Comment